Secular Jobs & Internships
Looking for jobs and internships in the secular movement? Check here for listings!
If you are looking for a career in the movement, click here to check out advice and inspiration from other students who have been able to get a job doing what they love.
American Atheists seeks Public Policy Director
(Click Here For More Information)
American Atheists, Inc. seeks a qualified individual to take a leadership role in the development and implementation of its public policy activities. Responsibilities may include:
- Arranging and taking meetings with Congressional and Administration officials.
- Drafting action alerts for mass emails to American Atheists members.
- Collaborating with coalitions of national nontheistic and secular organizations to create better outcomes for the nontheistic community in everyday life.
- Monitoring federal legislative and administrative policies.
- Monitoring state actions for bills and laws that violate the separation of religion and government.
- Developing policy proposals related to secularizing the tax code
- Preparing comments and other position statements.
- Other tasks as assigned.
American Atheists’ headquarters is in New Jersey; this position will be based at a satellite office in Washington, D.C.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample related to public policy or a public policy issue to [email protected]. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until June 3, 2013.
The web developer maintains CFI's current suite of websites and web applications and also develops additional web-based solutions to address various needs. The web developer will work closely with the web designer to:
- develop ExpressionEngine-based dynamic websites
- develop dynamic, database-driven Ruby-on-Rails applications for solutions that fall outside the bounds of standard content-management systems
- plan strategies to ensure that all of CFI’s web assets are effectively designed, developed, and maintained
- create documentation for all of CFI’s current websites and web applications.
- demonstrable experience with the Ruby language and the Ruby-on-Rails web framework
- experience administering and configuring Linux/Apache servers
- strong knowledge of HTML and CSS standards and compliance
- the ability to discern the macroscopic goals of Center for Inquiry and its affiliate organizations in order to create web solutions that provide the best compromise between the needs of the organizations, the capabilities of a small web department, and the potential solutions provided by dynamic web applications:
Additional information can be found here.
The Web Developer position is located at CFI headquarters in Amherst, NY. Telecommuting is not available for this position. Salary is negotiable and based on the applicant’s experience. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae to [email protected]
To apply, send the following to Anthony Graham:
Current curriculum vitae/resume.
Letter (max 400 words) expressing interest and demonstrating the desirable characteristics
Optional: additional links or attachments demonstrating relevant activities or skills
*note: all positions are currently unpaid and virtual*
For more information submit the contact form or email Anthony at:
Director of Membership Development
- In charge of recruitment and retention of members within The Secular Segment
- Develop ways to recruit members
- Improve member experience
- Coordinates and posts photos, videos, and news in respective sections
- Posts photos and videos to Facebook and Twitter pages
- Find and post multimedia and news articles to website
- Reports to Director of Media and Communications
Coordinator of Partnerships
- Recruits organizations for partnership status
- Coordinates relations with partner organizations
Blog Editor (Tradition of the Week)
- Updates blog on a weekly basis
- See Tradition of the Week page