Secular Student Alliance Hiring Development Associate
The Development Associate reports to the Development Director and works with staff and board to advance fundraising efforts. This will primarily be through expansion and cultivation of our membership base via written communication. The position will also include some foundation work and some face-to-face major-donor cultivation. The Secular Student Alliance supports a network of over 300 campus groups that promote the ideals of scientific and critical inquiry, democracy, secularism, and human-based ethics.
- Plan, draft, and edit fundraising letters, emails, and other appeals
- Administer donor records, and follow-up with donors and potential donors, including thank-you letters and calls
- Aid in creating, designing, and updating fundraising materials
- Work with mail houses to get quotes and provide them our materials and lists
- Help Development Director, Board, and staff cultivate donors
- Provide reports as needed to the Board of Directors and Development Committees
- Occasional in-person donor solicitation (we will train)
- Aid in organizing fundraising events
- Research foundations, file letters of inquiry, and submit grant applications
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent work experience
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Absolutely phenomenal written communication skills
- Goal-oriented, project-oriented, & achievement-oriented
- Willingness to travel on average once a month (SSA pays costs)
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills including effective time management, and a demonstrated ability to coordinate and follow assignments through to completion
- Extremely detail oriented and resourceful; must produce polished and highly accurate work
- Ability to inspire passion for our mission
- Self-motivated and comfortable working both independently and collaboratively
- Work respectfully across all management units and donor constituencies
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to adapt
- Fundraising Experience
- Sales Experience
- Past solicitation or grant success
- Grant Writing Skills
- Familiarity with Foundation Center or other foundation research tools
- Knowledge relating to the non-religious movement
- CiviCRM Experience
- Google Docs Experience
- Microsoft Office and/or iWork Experience
- InDesign Experience
- Quickbooks Experience
How to Apply
Starting salary range $28,000 to $32,000. This position comes with health and dental coverage.
This position is based out of the Secular Student Alliance offices located in Columbus, OH.
The Secular Student Alliance is a 501(c)(3) educational non-profit. To apply for this job, please email your resume, and answers to the following screening questions to [email protected] by February 19th.
1. Why are you interested in this job?
2. What is your experience with development work?
3. When would you be available to start?
4. What are your long-term career goals? How does this job fit into your long-term plans?
5. Can you prove that you are either a citizen of the United States, or a legal worker and permanent resident?
6. Are you willing to be publicly known as a supporter of SSA's cause? (The two most controversial elements of that cause being: 1. promoting respect and equal rights for atheists, agnostics, humanists and others that do not believe in a god AND 2. deep skepticism of the supernatural.)
7. Do you have any reservations about collaborating with people who are much older or younger than you, or are of a different ethnic group, sexual orientation, or philosophical or political belief?
8. In 500 words or less, write an appeal email encouraging supporters who gave to the SSA last year to give this year. You may use any information you find about us our on website, our affiliate groups’ websites, or any other public source to inform your writing.
9. Are you willing to travel on average of once a month? (SSA will pay costs)
10. From what you know about the SSA, what do you like best?
11. From what do you know about the SSA, what would you most like to see improve?
12. How did you learn about this position (e.g. Craigslist, SSA website/newsletter, word of mouth)?
13. Please give the names and phone numbers of at least two work or academic references. Personal references are not required.
14. Is there anything else you would like to make us aware of as we consider your application?