Help SSA create new resources and tools for your group:
- Located in Richmond, CA
- Graduate of UC Berkeley and Columbia University
- Holds a Ph.D. in ancient intellectual history
- World renowned historian, philosopher, and author
- Atheist evangelist and vocal critic of Christian apologetics
- Author of several books including Sense and Goodness without God and Proving History: Bayes's Theorem and the Quest for the Historical Jesus"
- Specializes in the modern philosophy of naturalism, the development of ancient science, and the origins of Christianity
Richard Carrier is a world-renowned author and speaker. As a professional historian, published philosopher, and prominent defender of the American freethought movement, Dr. Carrier has appeared across the country and on national television defending sound historical methods and the ethical worldview of secular naturalism.
His books and articles have also received international attention. He holds a Ph.D. from Columbia University in ancient history, specializing in the intellectual history of Greece and Rome, particularly ancient philosophy, religion, and science, with emphasis on the origins of Christianity and the use and progress of science under the Roman empire. He is best known as the author of Sense and Goodness without God, Not the Impossible Faith, Why I Am Not a Christian, and Proving History: Bayes's Theorem and the Quest for the Historical Jesus, and a major contributor to The Empty Tomb, The Christian Delusion, The End of Christianity, and Sources of the Jesus Tradition, as well as writer and editor-in-chief (now emeritus) for the Secular Web, and for his copious work in history and philosophy online and in print.
He is currently working on his next books, On the Historicity of Jesus, The Scientist in the Early Roman Empire, and Science Education in the Early Roman Empire
You can find Richard's website at www.richardcarrier.info.
For video examples of previous talks, see below:
Are Christians Delusional? (2010)
- Dr. Carrier's highly praised presentation at Skepticon III, summarizing and illustrating the conclusions of The Christian Delusion (published by Prometheus in 2010).
Give a Damn? Uncut (2008)
- The full uncut interview he gave for the team producing the innovative documentary Give a Damn? (www.giveadamndoc.com) on how (or even whether) we should fight world hunger. Best exemplifies what a sitdown Q&A with Dr. Carrier is like.
Dr. Carrier would love to talk on subjects relating to:
- Ancient Roman science, technology, philosophy, and religion
- The philosophy of naturalism and the importance of naturalism as a worldview
- Christian apologetics
- Arguments for and against the resurrection of Jesus or the existence of God
- Historical method and what makes for a good historian
Dr. Carrier can also talk on specific topics he has spoken on in the past, such as:
- The origins of Christianity
- The origins of science
- The historicity of Jesus
- Logical Thinking
- Bayes' Theorem
Richard requires a $250 honorarium to speak at your campus.
This speaker has special requirements and takes a lot of preparation work to bring in. Only experienced groups should consider bringing him to their campus.
If you're interested in having this speaker come to your school and give a presentation, click here to fill out our online Speaker Request form.