There are currently 29 speakers on the SSA Student/Alumni Speakers Bureau.
- Located in Tempe, AZ
- Education: AA Political Science, AG, AAS Surgical Technology, Cert. Global Citizenship
- Majors: Political Science, Philosophy; Minors: Religious Studies, Human Rights, Linguistics
- Experience with political lobbying and campaigns (gubernatorial, state legislative, other local offices), parliamentary procedure, and policy writing and presentation.
- Former Media Officer with the LGBTQ Alliance at Mesa Community College, former Senator at Large, VP of Communications, and Executive VP with ASMCC.
- Founder and former President of the SSA at Mesa Community College
- Current President of the SSA at Arizona State University
- Andre also blogs here.
- Working with Religious Groups on campus
- Understanding Legislation
- Religion in International Relations: How religion in government affects foreign policy and diplomacy
- Lobbying: Why lobby, how to do it, and who your allies are?
Can also run workshops on:
- Understanding Your Team (MBTI: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator)
- Arranging a Successful Lobbying Event
- Group Planning
Andre is willing to sleep on a couch and travels at a low cost or for free when able.
- Located in Russellville, AK
- Performs stand-up, sometimes in drag
- Runs a blog dealing with religion and LGBT issues
- Has given a speech dealing with Church/State separation to a mixed/no faith audience
- Has formal training in public speaking
- LGBT issues
- Church/State separatio
- Debating with believers
- Stand-up comedy (particularly related to atheism and LGBT issues)
- Located in San Diego, CA
- Undergraduate in Biological Anthropology
- Blogger at Emily Has Books (www.emilyhasbooks.com)
- Secular Activist
- Work in Social & Email Marketing
- Human Evolution
- Marxism, Socialism and Anti-Capitalism
- Social Class / Social Issues
- Democracy in America
- Christian and Muslim Religious Influence on World Peace
- Internet Marketing and Outreach
- Located in Thousand Oaks, CA
- Majored in Political Science and Global Studies while minoring in Philosophy and Religion
- Extensive study abroad experience in England and Israel/Palestine as well as throughout Europe
- Student body president at California Lutheran University ('12-'13)
- Extensive research on human rights and the relationship between religion and politics both domestically and internationally
- Identifies as an interfaith humanist and has experience in interfaith engagement among students and university administration
- Learning Religious Language with a Legitimate Secular Purpose
- Authoritarian vs. Pluralistic Secularism in Politics
- Humanism and Human Rights
- Religion and Politics
- Bringing Secular Students to the Interfaith Table
- Medical student at UCSD
- Blogger at luckyatheist.blogspot.com
- Active in both Secular Student Alliance at UCSD and San Diego New Atheists
- Nontraditional student with successful career in drug development prior to medical school
- Avid trail runner and general outdoors person
- Building your network; keeping atheist groups in contact with each other
- What are beliefs "for", and how everyone can make better decisions
- What are the concrete ways that religion is causing human suffering in this community?
- Outreach and growing our numbers
- Economics and Political Science student at University of Colorado, Denver
- Author of the blog, The Barefoot Bum
- Former substantial contributor to the Internet Infidels Discussion Board
- Philosophy of Religion/Atheism
- Religion and Politics
- Religion and Economics
- Political Philosophy
- Economic Philosophy
- Located in Denver, CO
- I have my BA in Sociology from Southeastern Louisiana University.
- I was the president of SELU's SSA group, SELUSHAN, my junior and senior year.
- I currently am the main organizer for the Denver Atheist MeetUp group (1,450 members) as well as co-founder of a secular women's group (50 members) here in Denver.
- I worked with Dr. Barbara Forrest in assisting Zach Kopplin in repealing the Louisiana Science Education Act.
- I have volunteered and worked on putting on multiple conferences in the Denver Metro area including the AAA Conference in 2012 as well as the Colorado Secular Conference in 2013.
- I have a red Delta Tail Betta fish named Delta because I'm totally creative at naming things.
- How to overcome issues of flyer tampering
- how to safely/accurately put on lectures and debates
- mourning the loss of a group member
- how to properly argue with an on campus preacher- and how to not look like an ass doing so.
- staying active in the secular community while juggling a full-time job, women's issues, and proving to my family that my atheism wasn't just a phase- and how to not look like an ass doing so.
- Located in Sarasota, FL.
- Sociology major, gender studies minor.
- Blogs at ozyfrantz.com.
- Has contributed to Jezebel, In Our Words Blog, Role/Reboot, and the Good Men Project.
- Trans Inclusion/Trans 101.
- Why Skeptics Should Talk About Mental Health.
- How Cognitive Biases Lead To Oppression and Social Injustice.
- Misogyny In The Atheist Community.
- Located in Chicago, IL
- Blogger at Freethought Blogs, Friendly Atheist, and Teen Skepchick
- Volunteer SSA Network Coordinator for Military Students
- Studying Psychology and Human Development & Psychological Services at Northwestern University
- Pseudoscience and Women
- Alternative Medicine in Practice: Homeopathy & Handwaving
- Mental Health: The Skeptic's Approach
- So You Want to be a Student Activist?
- The Nice Atheist: Mediating and Mediators in the Community
- Graduate of DePaul University, founder of DePaul Alliance for Free Thought
- Activist for progressive causes
- Blogs at consideredexclamations.wordpress.com
- Contributes at In Our Words, FreethoughtBlogs, elsewhere.
- Why Atheism Should Be Involved in Social Justice
- Making Your Group Active in Progressive Causes
- Privilege, Colorblindness, and Scientism: How To Identify Our Own Harmful, Otherizing Biases
- The Prison-Industrial Complex and You: A Skeptical Look at Incarceration
Can also run workshops on:
- Racism and anti-racist activism
- Trans* issues
- Accessibility Issues
- College Provisional Secular Humanist Co-Chaplain at Elmhurst College
- Founder and former President of the Elmhurst College Secular Student Association (2007-2009)
- Founder and former President of the University of Chicago Secular Alliance. (2009-2010)
- Currently finishing a PhD in biochemistry at the University of Chicago
- 5th generation (at least) atheist from southern Illinois
- Tweets at @ECHumanistChap
- Organizing secular students
- The positive effects of a secular worldview
- The incompatibility of science and religion
- The science and secular basis of human morality
- The need for secular chaplains
- The role for atheists in "Interfaith" organizations
- Ben is also a singer and acoustic guitarist and would be happy to perform at an event such as a secular "church" service.
- Located in Berkeley, CA
- Former President of the Philosophical Society at Indiana University
- Education and critical thinking activist
- Studies philosophy and religion
- Blogs at nothingismere.com
- Atheism. Agnosticism, and Belief
- What is Rationality?
- Naturalism and the Supernatural
- Arguments For and Against God
- Can Anyone Be Good Without God?
- Dualism and the Mind-Body Problem
- Arguing Effectively
|| Anthony Graham |
- Located in: Ypsilanti, MI (near Detroit)
- Former leader of Southern Illinois University Carbondale Secular Student Alliance
- Master of Arts- Teaching, Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Arts Degree- Anthropology, Minor- Sociology Associates of Applied Science Degree- Agriculture
- Production & Management
- Associates of Applied Science Degree- Agriculture Business
- Professionally Certified Elementary School Teacher
- Currently Teach: Kindergarten through 5th grade Science and 4th grade English Language Arts, Math, Social Studies
- Successfully lobbied our city's Interfaith Council to allow SSA to participate in Council events. I also assisted in changing language in the Council's charter and bylaws to make it secular friendly.
- Teach secular studies at a religious school
- Diversity & Volunteerism
- Youth Volunteerism
- Student Organizations
- New Student Orientation
- Setting Up Events
- Community Activism
- Creating a Secular Safe Zone
- Elementary Education
- Grade School Secular Education
- Religious v. Secular Education
- Building a Web Presence
- Starting an SSA Group
- Interfaith Cooperation
- Basics of Evolution
- Open to suggestions!
||Ryan Liebl |
- Located in Eden Prairie, MN
- Studying English and Political Science at Gustavus Adolphus College
- Founder and President of the Gustavus Secular Student Alliance
- Former fundamentalist Christian turned liberal Christian turned Atheist
- Blogs at http://rliebl.wordpress.com
Will speak on:
- Liberal and mainstream Christianity--especially on college campuses
- Forming groups within religious schools
- Reaching out to individuals harmed by their religious past and/or upbringing
- Dealing with religious hostility towards a group
- Debating religious laypeople about religion more generally
- Arguing against any of the three major monotheisms
- Commonly heard religious arguments from design
||Miri Mogilevsky |
- Lives in NYC
- Studied psychology at Northwestern University
- Now studying social work at Columbia University
- Blogs about social justice, psychology, and basically everything at freethoughtblogs.com/brutereason
- Tweets @sondosia
- Enjoys Russian literature and Cheezits
- New Testament topics
--historicity of events/people
- Ancient aliens and related claims
- Various science/physics topics
- Located in: Akron, OH
- Studies at: The University of Akron
- Majors: Psychology and Philosophy
- Interests: Ethics and I/O Psychology
- President of The Secular Student Alliance at The University of Akron
- Ethics: General, Biomedical Ethics, and Secular Humanism -Rational Discussion and Effective Argumentation
- Existentialism: Nietzsche and Religion
- Psychological Delusions: What is Clear Thinking?
- Business Church: A survey of The Independent Fundamental Baptists
- Group Running and Advertising Strategies
- Sex Education and Secular Sexuality
- Volunteer Network Coordinator for the SSA Northeast (NY, NJ, & PA)
- Studied philosophy of artificial intelligence, values and public life, and robotics and intelligent systems at Princeton.
- Co-founder and former President of Princeton University Society of Humanists (PUSH).
- Currently studying education policy at University of Pennsylvania.
- Avid agnostic atheist, secular humanist, interfaith activist, and ballroom dancer.
- A Primer on Religious and Secular Morality: Meta-Ethics, Normative Ethics, and Applied Ethics.
- The Teleological Argument for the Existence of Gods.
- Free Will, Determinism, and the Criminal Justice System.
- Artificial Intelligence: The Singularity and AI Ethics
- Utilitarianism in the 21st Century: Animal Rights, Global Poverty, Climate Change, Personhood.
- Located in Columbia, SC
- PhD Student in Cognitive Neuroscience at the University of South Carolina
- Co-Chair of Secular Coalition for South Carolina
- SSA Volunteer Network Coordinator for South Carolina
- Contributor for The Feminist Observer
- Volunteer for the Sexual Trauma Services of the Midlands
- Your Brain on Religion: How Psychology and Neuroscience Research Explain Religious Belief
- Secular Coalition for America
- The Neuroscience of Mind Reading
- Feminism and gender violence prevention
- located in Columbia, SC
- founder of the Forward Progressive Alliance at the University of South Carolina
- a former Secular Student Alliance intern
- a former Foundation Beyond Belief intern
- a Camp Quest South Carolina board member
- contributor for Friendly Atheist blog
- former president of the Secular Student Alliance at USC
- Forming a progressive network or coalition at your university
- What's Out There? Getting Atheists Off the Internet and Into Real Life (getting involved with the national secular movement)
- Being an Indentured Servant to the Movement: The Joys of Interning
Alternatively, she can do workshops on:
- Leadership transitions
- Building diversity and community in your group
- What not to do on the internet (Social Media!)
- Located in Garland
- Senior at University of North Texas - Bachelors in Anthropology, subfield Physical Anthropology
- Research Assistant for UTA Professor of Geology - Derek Main at the Arlington Archosaur Site
- Member of Secular Student Alliance & Atheists, Agnostics, and Others at University of North Texas
- Paleontology/Evolution of life/Life origins
- Paleoanthropology/Human origins
- Creationism/ID vs. Evolution
- Coming Out Twice: Life as a Gay Atheist
- Skepticon and Beyond: The Success of Low-Cost, Student-Run Conferences
- Organizing at a Vending Machine: The Challenges of Community College groups
- A Juggernaut of Secular Awesomeness: Why you should be paying attention to the secular student movement
- Located in Quitaque, TX
- Holds a Bachelor's degree in Biology from West Texas A&M University
- Graduate student at West Texas A&M University
- 11 years experience as an Emergency Medical Technician
- Secular Parent
- Founder and first President of the SSA at West Texas A&M
- Church State Separation
- Campus organizing on one of the most conservative college campuses in Texas.
- Examples and evidence of Evolutionary theory
- What it really means to be persecuted in the US
- Raising Secular Children
- Located in Amarillo, TX
- Education: Biotechnology and Philosophy (ongoing) at West Texas A&M University
- Founding member and President of Freethought Oasis
- Experience communicating secular and philosophical topics to mixed audiences
- Logical Fallacies and Debating Strategy
- Philosophy 101
- Communicating Science to Religious Believers
- Pseudoscience and Scientific Skepticism
- How Do We Know What We Know?
- Located in McAllen
- Masters Degree in Ethnomusicology
- Currently seeking PhD in Linguistic Anthropology
- Vice-President of Atheist Student Organization (ASO is an affiliate of SSA) at the University of Texas Pan-American
- Christian Dominionism
- 'The Book of Genesis'
- Comparative Theology
- Sex and Gender in the Bible
- Patriarchy and Power
Daniel also does debates.
- How to Keep Unconstitutional Prayer Out of Your High School
- How to Respond to Misconceptions of Atheists and Common Theistic Arguments
- Step Into the Shoes of an Atheist
- Religion and Secularism in American History and Politics
- Consequences of Belief
- Spent two years enlisted in the Army
- Went to West Point for 3 1/2 years until resigning in order to draw attention to failures to uphold the Constitution by military leaders
- Served as president of the West Point Secular Student Alliance for one year
- Currently serving as Director of Military Religious Freedom Foundation Affairs at USMA
- Currently working on a book to provide comprehensive analysis and personal perspective on the implications of church and state violations in the military
- The culture of religious privilege in the military and how it effects our nation at large
- The Military Religious Freedom Foundation, its mission, details about recurrent problems in the military, and how we address them
- Located in Fort Lee, VA.
- I was a Christian from age 8 to 24.
- In high school I worked as a lion and tiger trainer at a big cat sanctuary.
- I gave up the dream of becoming the next Jack Hannah to go to college to become a preacher. I memorized the New Testament while in college.
- I am a testicular cancer survivor.
- After college I spent a year traveling the world as the personal assistant to the world famous Christian apologist, Josh McDowell because I wanted to have a career just like his.
- By the end of that year I had begun challenging everything I believed, eventually giving up religion and the path I was on.
- I am now an agnostic to the core and I want to spend the rest of my life speaking out against religious dogmatism with my tongue and my pen.
- The weaknesses in Christian and Islamic apologetics
- The struggle of breaking away from religion after having grown up in the church.
- Cultural trends and the future of religion
- How to effectively communicate to a still very much religious world.
- The negative effects of religious dogmatism
- Located in Blacksburg, VA
- Graduate student in philosophy at Virginia Tech (thesis topic: "Does the Neglect of Analogy Explain the Rise of
- Early Modern Atheism?")
- Bachelor's degree in physics from University of Rochester
- President of Freethinkers at Virginia Tech
- Started the "Religion, Science, and Culture Library" at Virginia Tech
- Blog: http://www.skepticfreethought.com/libere
- Early atheist history (in the 18th and 19th centuries)
- Science & Religion
- Creationism and Intelligent Design